Monday, October 6, 2008

A Closer Look (Comparing and Cotrasting Unity)




In my studio class I was given a project to create unity between 12 skewers and 12 planes. During our critique we were told to choose a project and list its similarities and differences to our own. The project I chose to compare mine to was made by my T.A.s Amanda and Dana.

I feel like my Unity 12x12 project best relates to Amanda and Dana’s because both have an apparent radial shape. Though all of my paper works to become the curved shape, Dana and Amanda’s design is very straight and linear creates an implied circular form with flat, straight paper. Both designs have a central point, where the rest of the planes rotate around. It is also noticeable that the skewers in both projects form a structural grid around the paper planes.

When contrasting the two it is clear that the placement and order of the skewers differs with the two. In Amanda and Dana’s project, their skewers are very straight and evenly placed, where as in mine the skewers are (intentionaly) placed in uneven ways. Again with the shape of the paper, my project works to form a curved radial shape, while Dana and Amanda’s is very angular and the hanging projecting pieces form the radial shape. An obvious difference is the fact that theirs rest on its side, where mine is standing up from the ground.

I really enjoyed their project !! YA - YA

No comments: